Sign in to follow this  
Fly Delta Virtual

[NOTAM] Tours Announcement

Tour Survey Completed and Announcement

Last weekend I issued a survey to all pilots and asked for your feedback on our current Tour offerings. I received about 30 responses and appreciate all of you who took the time to complete the survey and provide your thoughts on what you like about our tour offerings, and what you would like to improve.  I wanted to be sure and inform you of the results of the survey, and you can view it by clicking here  Please note that the written comments are not available as there was no easy way to transfer them over, but I can assure you each one was read, and considered.

Based on the survey, we found the following findings:

1.    Many like the current tour offerings, but there are a couple of areas we could improve.

1.    You like Domestic tours and like to be challenged with tours.

3.    You overwhelmingly prefer US Domestic short-haul runs.

4.    You like the Monday Night Group Flight, and like it following a tour each week.

5.    Challenges are well accepted, as are tiered tours (need to complete one before you can complete the next).

Please note that this is a blind survey, so I have no idea who said what, and this is an average over all responses.

With that in mind, we want to incorporate your wishes for tours immediately.  So, moving forward we will make the following changes:

1.    Tours will have expiration dates.  This helps to make them more exclusive to those who complete them.

2.    We are working hard to create badges for tour completion, and hope to roll that out shortly. (If we have any graphic designers, let me know!)  Awards will be retroactive,so don’t worry about getting that tag for a past tour.

3.    We are going to make tours more challenging for those who like them.  This includes difficult approaches, short duration tours and other challenges.

4.     We are now allowing different aircraft on tours-you are no longer tied to the same aircraft for the entire tour!

5.    We will run contests where the prize might be the ability to work with me on designing a tour so pilots have direct input on a tour.

With that, we are unveiling some things about current tours:

1.    The following tours will be permanent tours:

a.    Cross the Pacific

b.    Cross the Atlantic

c.    Caribbean Tour

d.    Alaskan Tour

e.    Delta Current Hub Tour

f.     Hawaiian Hop

g.    National Park Tour

h.    Around the World in 80 days Tour

i.     Delta Historic Hubs Tour

j.     Skyteam International Hubs Tour

2.    The remaining tours will expire.  This means that if you are halfway through a tour, you need to complete it before the expiration date.  Once it expires, it will not be available any longer, and you won’t have a way to earn the badge that comes with completing it (when the badge system comes out, badges will be done retroactively).  This creates a bit of exclusivity for those who did complete the tour.

a.    PGA Golf Tour expires on September 15, 2019

b.    2019 2ndAnnual March Madness Tour expires on May 15, 2019

c.    Major League Baseball tour will expire on October 31, 2019

d.    Formula 1 Tour will expire on August 15, 2019

3.    We are also releasing 3 new tours for you.  

a.    Off to the Beach! Tour will travel around the US to various beach locations to celebrate the beginning of Beach season in the US.  This is a 8 leg tour with most short-haul routes.  It will expire on September 15, 2019.

b.    A week in the Life of a Delta Pilot Tour is a bit of a challenge.  It follows a sample of what a real-world pilot would fly, and you only have 8 days to complete it!  Read the notes on each leg for your overnight, and all your assigned legs for the day. If you don’t complete it in 8 days, you’ll need to restart! This tour will expire on August 1, 2019 (but may be extended if you want longer).

c.    Tough Approaches Tour is the master of all challenges: land at some of the most challenging approaches worldwide, and no cheating by taking an easier approach!  Read the leg notes for the approach you need to take to accomplish that leg of the tour. Also, if you can get -100 feet or less landing on EVERY leg, you will win the Diamond Medallion Tough Approaches Badge (we are still working on the badge)!  This tour will expire on September 1, 2019.

4.    You can change aircraft during your tour.  This has been a feature requested for a long time. We have been limited by technical barriers to doing this but have found that you can change aircraft during a tour, just not officially on the tour page. 

a.    You should still sign up with the aircraft you intend to complete most of the tour.  For example, if you plan to use a 737-800 for 8 of the 10 legs, sign up using a 737-800.

b.    If you want to use a different aircraft, you add the bid as you have in the past.  When you fly the bid using ACARS (Delta Sky Club or SmartCars) open as you normally do, (it will show the aircraft you signed up with) but change/load in the aircraft you are actually flying into the PIREP. Submit as you normally do.  The tour should move to the next leg, and the pirep will reflect the aircraft you flew.

c.    If you encounter any issues, reach out to me, your Hub Manager or the DPO.

As the Administration team at Fly Delta Virtual, we are committed to making your time with us fun and engaging.  We hope you find the new tours, and the new direction we are going with tours exciting. We will continue to evaluate how the tours are going, and feel free to drop us a line and let us know how we are doing.

Jeff / DL1706

Director of Marketing and Events

View the full article